8/21/26

Review: Astrofísica para gente con prisa

Astrofísica para gente con prisa Astrofísica para gente con prisa by Neil deGrasse Tyson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5★

I am someone who abandoned the sciences before finishing high school, but not my curiosity for them. I admit I am rusty, naive and forgot how to do more than a simple equation, but ironically I can watch documentaries and read books that explain time-space and atoms and as long as it doesn't include the math I'll grasp my mind around it. And Nile deGrasse Tyson is perfect for me in that sense. I actually listen to his podcasts when I'm very stressed about my humanities studies and work and manage to prevent further anxiety haha.

Having said that, I gotta admit this book presented to me both stuff that I already had made my research about (literally. I like taking notes) and unknown subjects to me. And I have to agree with everyone that admits this book is a bit overwhelming, throwing difficult concepts at you in the spam of paragraphs. I recommend stepping into it by doing specific research beforehand and reading a chapter a day.

Ironically my favourite chapter was the one focused on chemistry (weird since I disliked that subject at school a lot, despite my chemist father's attempts to explain it to me) and the closing, that was so beautiful. And even if I didn't completely understand everything (again, present me an equation such as light and noise and I'm lost), Tyson has such a way with words that it sounds more like he's holding your hand and guiding you around rather than a teacher getting mad you didn't get the correct answer in an exam. I really appreciate that.

I'll definitely look more into divulgative nonfiction, especially about space since I've been on a roll with it for almost a year now. Specifically cosmology and astrology. Definitely helped as a sci fi nerd!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment