A Closed and Common Orbit
by Becky ChambersMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
4.8★
Writing this right after I finished this at night so I might not make the most sense, I'm bubbling with feelings, like every time I finish anything by Becky Chambers (more like these books finish me).
I was very hopeful for this book, after the first one in the saga. I didn't know what it'd be about either. and it dragged me to its core.
Sidra was a very interesting character to follow, especially now with the AI debate and the sympathy for the machine. What makes something worthy of the human label, the distinction of sapient vs person and her journey of becoming, acceptance with herself, and most importantly and relatable, the search for a purpose.
I think Pepper's story was the one that called to me the most. I started getting into it as a dystopia lover and ended up in shambles (can you tell I'm a huge found family fan). Her growth, her journey, her determination and her love, as well as her breakdowns. I found myself relating to her, not for her backstory, but because of her personality, likes and emotions. and I think that's one of the best experiences you can have consuming media.
Blue and Tak were great companions for the story. Tak especially was another character I could resonate with. not only for xyr skepticism but also it filled me with joy to see the friendship bloom. Xyr gender depiction also made me incredibly happy and comfortable, I always love how the author handles it. I can't talk about the representation on Blue's behalf but I found him to be very sweet and cute.
i honestly wished they explored more a bit on Blue's and Pepper's relationship. how did they get their names (although I have an idea)? did they date before others before each other?
And as a side note, Owl had me at the verge of tears. Could elaborate, but, you know what, go read this.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment